BSW Admission Requirements

Admission to MU

If you plan to attend MU and get a BSW, you should declare social work as your major when you fill out your Undergraduate Admissions Application to Mizzou. An advisor will be assigned to you from the School of Social Work.

Changing Your Major to Social Work (Current MU Students)

If you want to change your major to social work, you’ll need to meet one of the following conditions:

  1. Have fewer than 55 credit hours, be in good academic standing, and
    1. Freshman-level students (0-29 credit hours) must have at least a 2.3 GPA.
    2. Sophomore-level students (30-54 hours) must have at least a 2.4 GPA.
  2. Students with more than 55 credit hours must be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on all college work attempted.

If you meet one of the conditions, fill out a Transfer of Division Application form online for approval as a pre-professional social work major. Be sure to schedule a meeting with the Student Services Coordinator for orientation, a plan of study and adviser information.

Transfer Students from Other Institutions

If you are coming from another institution and wish to declare the social work major, complete the MU Undergraduate Admissions Application and note “Social Work” as your intended major.

You can transfer into the School of Social Work if you meet the following conditions:

  1. You must be accepted as a social work major by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. If you have more than 55 credit hours, you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on all college work attempted.
  2. Acceptance as a social work major is not and does not guarantee acceptance into the Professional BSW Program. You must submit an application for admission to the Professional BSW Program when you are eligible. See Eligibility Requirements
  3. If you have an Associate of Arts degree from a Missouri community college, you are exempt from MU’s general education requirements. However, you must complete liberal arts prerequisite courses or their equivalents (with a grade in the “C” range or higher) before beginning the BSW core courses.

If you transfer to MU with junior standing, please be aware that four semesters may be required to complete all BSW program requirements for graduation.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Board gives students the opportunity to earn college credit through general examinations and subject examinations.

If you plan to complete a CLEP exam to get credit toward your program, please check with your academic adviser BEFORE you make an appointment to complete the CLEP exam.

View the University of Missouri’s policies regarding CLEP.

Apply to the BSW Program