Apply to the PhD Program
Application Deadline: December 1
Admission to the Social Work PhD program requires admission to Graduate Studies and acceptance by the School of Social Work. Admission is limited and determined on a competitive basis. The doctoral faculty of the School collectively make admission decisions.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early for admission to take full advantage of available scholarship funds and assistantship positions.
The following items must be electronically submitted for application to Graduate Studies:
- Graduate Studies Online Application for Admission
- Official Transcripts
- TOEFL or IELTS score – only required for international students
The following additional items must be submitted electronically through the Graduate Studies online application for consideration by the School of Social Work:
- Three letters of recommendation. At least two letters must be from former or current professors. Please do not include personal, pastoral and relative references.
- A writing proficiency sample (e.g., previous publication, book chapter, master’s thesis, unpublished research paper, etc.)
- A personal statement of interest answering the questions below:
(double-spaced, 12-point font, 1 inch margins, 6 page maximum)
- What is your motivation for a doctoral degree in social work?
- Why is the achievement of a PhD in social work important to your professional development?
- What specifically attracts you to the University of Missouri Social Work PhD program?
- What practice experience in social work have you had?
- What is your career goal? What position do you plan to seek after completing the degree?
- What is your research interest?