MSW Degree Requirements
The MSW curriculum is divided into two levels: foundation and soncentration courses.
The foundation level totals 21 credit hours and focuses on the development of generalist knowledge and skills in social work. A field practicum course is required at this level.
If you are an Advanced Standing student, you will skip the Foundation level as you already learned the knowledge and skills being taught at the BSW level. However, you will be required to take a research course at this level.
The concentration level totals 39 credit hours. If you are an Advanced Standing student, you will start taking Concentration courses during your first semester in the program.
You will select either the Clinical Practice or Policy, Planning and Administration concentration based on your interests. Visit the MSW Program Options page for more information on these concentrations.
Concentration requirements include electives that allow you to shape your own graduate education. The final phase of the Concentration curriculum consists of a field practicum course. To learn more about graduate field practicums, visit the field experience section of the website.
You must meet these requirements to graduate:
- Maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Complete the MSW degree in four years from your start date.
- If you enter the MSW program with credit from another institution, you must complete at two semesters with at least nine credit hours at MU.
- Complete 20 credit hours in advanced courses (7000 or above) in addition to other credit requirements set by the faculty.
- Complete all courses in the correct order.
If you are a regular standing student, you must meet these requirements:
- Complete 60 hours of graduate coursework.
- Earn at least a B in all of your foundation and concentration level classes.
- Receive a satisfactory grade on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis in both field practicums.
If you are an advanced standing student, you must meet these requirements:
- Complete 39 hours of graduate coursework.
- Receive a satisfactory grade on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis in your field practicum.