MSW Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the MSW Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Office of Graduate Studies minimum requirements
- 3.0 or better GPA over all or in the last 60 hours of baccalaureate coursework.
- Statistics Prerequisite:
- You must complete an approved college level statistics course with a grade of C- or higher.
- MU courses: SW 4310 is the recommended course for MU students, but Statistics 1200, Statistics 1300 and ECP 4170 are also approved courses.
- Non-MU courses: If you completed a statistics courses at another institution, it may be approved, pending submission of your transcript and approval by the MSW Program Director.
- We recommend you complete your statistics course before applying. If you are enrolled in a statistics course when you are accepted to the MSW program, your acceptance will be "pending successful completion of the approved statistics class."
Once you meet the minimum requirements, complete your application.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores for international applicants. Submission of internet-based TOEFL or an IELTS scores is required. Minimum sub-scores are:
If your GPA is lower than required, the MSW program might admit you on a probation.
To be admitted on probation, you must:
- have at least a 2.75 GPA
- meet all other admissions requirements
- attach an additional written statement on your application asking to be considered based on evidence of sustained commitment and significant contribution in the field of human services.
- Complete six hours of relevant, graduate-level coursework acceptable to the faculty- with a 3.0 GPA- with documentation on an official transcript.
Students admitted on probation are allowed one probationary semester. If a student on probation doesn’t maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 by the end of the probationary semester, they are subject to dismissal.
If at any time after the probationary semester your semester, term or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you will also be subject to dismissal.
If you do not meet the criteria for probationary admission, your application will not be reviewed for admission.