MSW Admission Requirements
To be eligible for the MSW Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Office of Graduate Studies minimum requirements
- 3.0 or better GPA over all or in the last 60 hours of baccalaureate coursework.
- Statistics Prerequisite:
- You must complete an approved college level statistics course with a grade of C- or higher.
- MU courses: SW 4310 is the recommended course for MU students, but Statistics 1200, Statistics 1300 and ECP 4170 are also approved courses.
- Non-MU courses: If you completed a statistics courses at another institution, it may be approved, pending submission of your transcript and approval by the MSW Program Director.
- We recommend you complete your statistics course before applying. If you are enrolled in a statistics course when you are accepted to the MSW program, your acceptance will be "pending successful completion of the approved statistics class."
Once you meet the minimum requirements, complete your application.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores for international applicants. Submission of internet-based TOEFL or an IELTS scores is required. Minimum sub-scores are:
Advanced standing applicants are not eligible for probationary admission.
If your GPA is lower than required, the MSW program might admit you on a probation.
Students admitted on probation are allowed one probationary semester. If a student on probation does not achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 by the end of the probationary semester, they are subject to dismissal.
If, at any time after the probationary semester, your semester, term or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you will also be subject to dismissal.
If you do not meet the criteria for probationary admission, your application will not be reviewed for admission.
- Regular standing applicants with an undergraduate GPA below a 3.0 but who have earned a Master’s degree in another field can apply to the program with no additional materials required.
- Regular standing applicants with an undergraduate GPA below a 3.0 who have not earned another Master’s degree but have 6 or more hours of graduate level coursework with a graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher can apply to the program if they attached an additional written statement explaining their low undergraduate GPA.
- Regular standing applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 2.75-2.99 who have completed no graduate level coursework or less than 6 hours of graduate level coursework can apply if they complete 6 hours of graduate level coursework with a grade of “B” or higher in each course, and if they attach an additional written statement explaining their low undergraduate GPA.
- Regular standing applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 2.75 who have completed no graduate level coursework or less than 6 hours of graduate level coursework can apply if they take additional undergraduate coursework to raise their undergraduate GPA to 2.75 or higher, take at least 6 hours of graduate level coursework and earn a grade of “B” or higher in each graduate course, and if they attach an additional written statement explaining their low undergraduate GPA.
All required graduate-level coursework must be documented on an official transcript and included as part of your application.